Skip to content
Support for NP
- DCLG is the Government Department responsible for the delivery and implementation of Neighbourhood Planning. The Neighbourhood Planning team produce regular bulletins called ‘Notes on Neighbourhood Planning’ which feature the latest news and policy updates.
- Locality deliver funding and support on behalf of DCLG to communities engaged in Neighbourhood Planning. This includes a series of resources, guides and toolkits for groups (detailed in this resources pack) and technical support and grants. Further details are available on the My Community website.
- Planning Aid England provide free, independent and professional planning advice to people and communities who cannot afford to pay for it. They have provided support to numerous neighbourhood planning groups and have produced a series of case studies, web based tools and guidance and a comprehensive suite of how to guides based on their experience. They publish a bi-monthly newsletter and video called Upfront.
- An array of consultants offer support to neighbourhood planning groups. The services offered may range from bespoke technical advice (for example, on design or the Strategic Environmental Assessment) to broad and ongoing support as they assist groups to navigate the process. Consultants are often appointed based on word of mouth recommendations and the RTPI maintains a database of Independent Planning Consultants.
- A Neighbourhood Planning Independent Examiners Referral Service (NPIERS) has been established which can provide groups with a suitable examiner. They also offer a ‘health-check’ service for groups when their plan is getting close to examination readiness.