Wong, B. & Chiu, Y.L.T. (Forthcoming, 2021). The ideal student: Deconstructing expectations in higher education. Maidenhead: Open University Press
Wong, B. & Chiu, Y.L.T. (2020). University lecturers’ construction of the ‘ideal’ undergraduate student. Journal of Further and Higher Education. 40(1), 54-68. https://doi.org/10.1080/0309877X.2018.1504010
Wong, B. & Chiu, Y.L.T. (2019). Exploring the concept of ‘ideal’ university student. Studies in Higher Education. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2019.1643302
Wong, B. & Chiu, Y.L.T. (2019). ‘Swallow your pride and fear’: The Educational Strategies of High-Achieving Non-Traditional University Students. British Journal of Sociology of Education. https://doi.org/10.1080/01425692.2019.1604209
Wong, B. and Chiu, Y.L.T. (2019). Let me entertain you: The ambivalent role of university lecturers as educators and performers. Educational Review, 71(2), 218-233. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00131911.2017.1363718
Wong, B. (2018). By chance or by plan? The academic success of non-traditional students in higher education. AERA Open, 4(2), 1-14. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2332858418782195
- 12th November 2019, The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/nov/12/make-your-first-year-at-university-count
- 9th September 2019, Imperial College London: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/192747/imperial-researcher-explores-what-means-ideal/
- 29th August 2019, University of Reading: https://research.reading.ac.uk/education/2019/08/29/news-latest-research-article-by-dr-billy-wong-on-the-concept-of-the-ideal-university-student/
- 29th May 2019, BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48267420
- 28th November 2018, Imperial College London: http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/blog/learning-and-teaching-strategy/2018/11/28/managing-student-expectations-and-understanding-of-what-it-means-to-be-an-imperial-student/
- 7th December 2017, Times Higher Education: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/top-marks-trying-attitudes-core-ideal-student
Conferences, seminars and other dissemination:
Chiu, Y.L.T. (Forthcoming). Student transition and the ideal student survey. National Academy of Education Administration, Beijing, China.
Wong, B. (2020). ‘The ideal student in higher education’. Institute of Education research seminars. University of Reading, UK. 16 January 2020.
Chiu, Y.L.T. & Wong, B. (2019). ‘Conceptualising the ideal university student’. Paper presented at the Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE) Annual Conference. Celtic Manor, Newport, Wales. 11–13 December, 2019,
Page, F., Chiu, Y.L.T. & Wong, B. (2019). ‘The ‘ideal’ student survey: Managing student expectations and understanding of what it means to be a university student’. Invited presentation at the ‘Positive Interactions: Enhancing the Student Experience’ Conference. Glasgow Caledonian University, London, UK. 13 December, 2019,
Chiu, Y.L.T. (2019). ‘Exploring the concept of ‘ideal’ university student’. Project interviewed by Communications and Public Affairs. Imperial College London, UK. [News post] 09 September 2019.
Chiu, Y.L.T. (2019). ‘A spotlight on Imperial innovation in Newcastle’. Centre for Higher Education Research and Scholarship, Imperial College London, UK. [Blog post] 10 July 2019.
Chiu, Y.L.T. & Page, F. (2019). ‘Managing student expectations using the ‘ideal’ university student survey: Induction with Design Engineering undergraduates’. Paper presented at the HEA Annual Conference. Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK. 2–4 July 2019,
Chiu, Y.L.T. (2019). ‘University lecturers’ construction of the ‘ideal’ undergraduate student.’ Research presented in CHERSNet seminar. Imperial College London, UK. 23 January 2019,
Chiu, Y.L.T. & Page, F. (2018). Managing student expectations and understanding of what it means to be an Imperial student. Imperial Learning and Teaching Strategy, [Blog post] 28 November 2018.
Wong, B. & Chiu, Y.L.T. (2017). ‘Is there an ‘ideal’ student at university?’ Paper presented at the Society for Research in Higher Education (SRHE) conference. Newport, Wales, UK. 6–8 December, 2017