On seasonal and sub-seasonal forecasting of the Indian monsoon low pressure systems
Website : http://www.akshaydeoras.com
Twitter : @akshaydeoras
Blog : Down To Earth
* Indian Monsoon (seasonal predictions, ocean-atmosphere-land interaction, dynamics and understanding precipitation processes of monsoon depressions)
* Dynamics of extra-tropical cyclones over North India
* Variability of tropical climate systems
* MRes in Climate and Atmospheric Science, University of Leeds, UK (2017)
Media Appearances (selected)
NCAS Climate Modelling Summer School, University of Cambridge : 8-20 September 2019
Invited talks (selected)
* The Great Indian Monsoon System : May 2015
Central India Research Institute, Nagpur
* The fun in weather forecasting : September 2014
Yashwantrao Chavan College of Engineering, Nagpur
Conference presentations (selected)
* RMetS Student and Early Career Scientists Conference 2020 (Virtual) (29-30 June 2020). Comparison of the prediction of Indian monsoon low-pressure systems by the Subseasonal-to-Seasonal prediction project(Best presentation prize in the Dynamics and Meteorological Applications category)
* ECMWF Annual Seminar 2019 (2-5
September 2019), Investigating forecast lead times of Indian monsoon
low-pressure systems in the Sub-seasonal to Seasonal models
* RMetS Student and Early Career Scientists Conference (4-5 July 2019), On seasonal and sub-seasonal forecasting of Indian monsoon low-pressure systems
* Sustainable Perspectives on Future Challenges (3 February 2017)
Connecting Indian Farmers - Present Challenges and Future Prospects
* SHOWCASE 2016, 7th annual University of Leeds Postgraduate Research (5 December 2016) Understanding the winter precipitation in Northwest India
* Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science Annual Science Meeting 2016 (3 November 2016)
An Investigation of Reduced Western Disturbance Activity over Northwest India in November-December 2015
* Member, Advisory Body of Atal Tinkering Lab at Somalwar Nikalas School, Nagpur
- Advising a leading school in Central
India on a flagship program
of Government of India to foster curiosity and creativity among school
- My responsibility is to monitor the implementation of this program and design innovative techniques for inculcating skills (such as adaptive learning and physical computing) among more than 1500 high school students.
of the prediction of Indian monsoon low-pressure systems by the
Subseasonal-to-Seasonal prediction project. A.
M. R. Hunt and A. G. Turner. Weather and Forecasting, in review.
Basu, S., Bieniek, P.A. and Deoras, A., 2017. An investigation of reduced western disturbance activity over Northwest India in November-December 2015 compared to 2014- A case study. Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 53(1), pp.75-83.
Akshay Deoras. On Intriguing Relationship Between Monsoon Low Pressures and Maharashtra. Bulletin of the Indian Meteorological Society, Pune Chapter (Vol.17, February 2016, pp. 42)
Aditya Kranti, Salil Bhat, Akshay Deoras. Trend Analysis and Mapping of Severe Cyclonic Storms in Bay of Bengal using ANN and Exponential Smoothing, International Journal of Engineering Development and Research (IJEDR), 237-242, 2015, ISSN:2321-9939.
Page last updated: 20 August 2020
Last update: 30th January 2019