Dr. Joanne Waller
MetOffice@Reading – Senior Scientist Assimilation Surface-based Observation
Associate editor for Monthly Weather Review.
Former chair of the Reasearch funded staff forum (Spring 2015 - Winter 2016).
- Data Assimilation.
- Optimal use of observations.
- Correlated observation errors.
- Novel observations.
- FFIR-FRANC: Forecasting Rainfall exploiting new data Assimilation techniques and Novel observations of Convection
- OSCA: Improving high impact weather forecasts via an international comparison of ObServation error Correlations in data Assimilation (OSCA)
- FFIR-TENDERLY: Towards END-to End flood forecasting and a tool for ReaL-time catchment susceptibilitY
- DARE : Data Assimilation for the REsilient city
PhD student supervision
- Jemima Tabeart (2016 - present) is a PhD student working on the treatment of correlated observation errors in data assimilation. Joint supervision with S. Dance, A. Lawless, N. Nichols, S. Ballard and D. Simonin. MPE CDT
- Zak Bell (2017 - present) . "Using urban observations in numerical weather prediction: mathematical techniques for multi-scale filtering". Joint supervision with S. Dance.
MSc student supervision
- Miguel Cordoba (2015): MSc thesis - Atmospheric Motion Vectors and their observation error structure in a data assimilation context. Joint supervision with S. Dance and N. Nichols. Dept Meteorology.
- Jemima Tabeart (2016) : MRes thesis - "On the variational data assimilation problem with non-diagonal observation weighting matrices". Joint supervision with S. Dance, A. Lawless, N. Nichols, S. Migliorini (Met Office) and F. Smith (Met Office)). MPE CDT.
Summer student supervision
- Diego dePablos (2017): UROP project title - "Can cars provide high quality temperature observations for use in weather forecasting?". Joint supervision with S. Dance (Dept Meteorology).
- Jeremy Holzke (2017): Project title - "Improving aircraft observations using data assimilation". Joint supervision with S. Dance (Dept Meteorology) and M. Kitchen (Met Office) .
Centaur PublicationsERROR: The page cannot be displayed (Trying to load: http://centaur.reading.ac.uk/view/creators_cv/jo=2Ewaller=40metoffice=2Egov=2Euk.include)
Last update: 6th December 2019