Postdoctoral Research Assoicate
Postdoctoral Research Scientist in Analysis of Forecasts of High-Impact Weather
- Tropical waves and their links to high impact weather in Southeast Asia.
- Representation of the tropical climate and weather in coupled climate models and forecast models.
- Dynamics and teleconnections of modes of variability (e.g. El Nino-Southern Oscillation) in the Tropical Pacific.
- Uncertainty in future changes in tropical climate
- See personal webpage for more details
- Project investigating the role of tropical waves in high impact weather in Southeast Asia as part of the Weather and Climate Science for Service Partnership Southeast Asia (WCSSP: SE Asia) programme, in collaboration with partners at the Met Office and operational forecast centres in SE Asia.
- FORSEA: A project that is part of the WCSSP: SE Asia programme, examining how well newly developed Met Office convective scale forecasting systems predict the timing, location and severity of high impact weather in SE Asia
Ayesiga, G., Holloway, C. E., Williams, C. J., Yang, G.-Y. and Ferrett, S. (2020) The observed synoptic scale precipitation relationship between Western Equatorial Africa and Eastern Equatorial Africa. International Journal of Climatology. ISSN 0899-8418 doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.6711 (In Press)
Ferrett, S., Collins, M., Ren, H.-L., Wu, B. and Zhou, T. (2020) The role of tropical mean-state biases in modeled winter Northern Hemisphere El Niño teleconnections. Journal of Climate, 33 (11). ISSN 1520-0442 doi: https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-19-0668.1
Ferrett, S., Yang, G.-Y., Woolnough, S. J., Methven, J., Hodges, K. and Holloway, C. E. (2020) Linking extreme precipitation in Southeast Asia to equatorial waves. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 146 (727). pp. 665-684. ISSN 1477-870X doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.3699
Jimenez, J. C., Marengo, J. A., Alves, L. M., Sulca, J. C., Takahashi, K., Ferrett, S. and Collins, M. (2019) The role of ENSO flavors and TNA on recent droughts over Amazon forests and the Northeast Brazil region. International Journal of Climatology. ISSN 0899-8418 doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.6453
Ferrett, S. and Collins, M. (2019) ENSO feedbacks and their relationships with the mean state in a flux adjusted ensemble. Climate Dynamics, 52 (12). pp. 7189-7208. ISSN 0930-7575 doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00382-016-3270-9
Ferrett, S., Collins, M. and Ren, H.-L. (2018) Diagnosing relationships between mean state biases and El Niño shortwave feedback in CMIP5 models. Journal of Climate, 31 (4). pp. 1315-1335. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0331.1
Ferrett, S., Collins, M. and Ren, H.-L. (2017) Understanding bias in the evaporative damping of El Niño–Southern Oscillation events in CMIP5 models. Journal of Climate, 30 (16). pp. 6351-6370. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-16-0748.1
Last update: 28th May 2020