Lecturer in Sustainable Urban Systems
My work at the University of Reading focuses on research and teaching related to urban sustainability through resource efficiency and global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions mitigation.
My research is centred on the investigation of how cities in both the developed and developing world can reduce GHG emissions. This includes the use of methods within urban metabolism, life cycle assessment, and data analytics to examine sustainability topics; these have included scenario modelling of local GHG emissions, urban contributions to reductions in food system environmental impacts, and the adoption of low-carbon technologies, especially domestic retrofits.
Ultimately, my research uses quantitative sustainability assessments to contribute to the evidence base used in setting policy goals for low-carbon economies.
· urban GHG mitigation
· energy efficiency retrofit adoption in housing
· urban metabolism, urban immune systems
· low-carbon food systems
· life cycle assessment and other quantitative sustainability analysis
· civic analytics
· Mohareb, E., Heller, M., Novak, P., Goldstein, B., Fonoll, X., Raskin,L, 2017. Considerations for Reducing Food System Energy Demand through the Scaling Up of Urban Agriculture. Environmental Research Letters, 12: 125004
· Mohareb, E., Hashemi, A., Shahrestani, M., Sunikka-Blank, M., 2017. Retrofit Planning for the Performance Gap: Results of a Workshop on Addressing Energy, Health and Comfort Needs in a Protected Building. Energies, 10(8): 1177.
· Mohareb, E., Derrible, S., & Peiravian, F, 2016. Intersections of low-carbon cities and Jane Jacobs’ conditions for diversity. Journal of Urban Planning & Development. 142(2): 14pp.
· Mohareb, E., & Mohareb, A., 2014. A comparison of greenhouse gas emissions in the residential sector of major Canadian cities. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering. 41(4): 285-293.
· Mohareb, E., & Kennedy, C.A., 2014. Scenarios of technology adoption towards low-carbon cities. Energy Policy. 66: 685 – 693.
· Mohareb, E., & Kennedy, C.A., 2012. Greenhouse gas emission scenario modeling for cities using the PURGE Model: A case study of the Greater Toronto Area. Journal of Industrial Ecology. 16(6): 875 – 888.
· Kennedy, C.A., Demoulin, S., & Mohareb, E., 2012. Cities reducing their greenhouse gas emissions. Energy Policy. 49: 774 – 777.
· Mohareb, E., & Kennedy, C.A., 2012. Gross direct and embodied carbon sinks for urban inventories. Journal of Industrial Ecology. 16(3): 302 – 316.
· Mohareb, E., Kennedy, C.A., Harvey L.D.D., & Pressnail, K.D., 2011. Decoupling of building energy use and climate. Energy and Buildings. 43(10): 2961 – 2963.
· Mohareb, E., MacLean, H.L., & Kennedy, C.A., 2011. Greenhouse gas emissions from waste management – assessment of quantification methods. Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association. 61: 480 – 493.
· Mohareb, E., & Mittal, G.S., 2007. Formulation & process conditions for biodegradable/edible soy-based packaging trays. Packaging Technology & Science. 20: 1 – 15.