On 25th November 2021, the DARE project team delivered a workshop on flooding to approximately 60 Year 6 pupils (10-11 year olds) at St Piran’s school Maidenhead. We gave a short presentation, played the soil porosity game and then allowed the students to get to grips with some hands-on activities relating to flood modelling, satellite observations and mitigating the effects of floods including
- A soil porosity game where the students had to pretend to be raindrops getting through soil of varying quality
- A flood table with a pumped water system where the pupils could place different barriers in the flow and experiment with flood prevention measures
- a thermal camera to explore some of the techniques used in infra-red earth observation
- RIvers top trumps
- Exploring Sentinel 1 and Sentinel 2 satellite images of floods in the UK
- The DARE VR video Inundation Street that allows pupils to understand what it feels like to be in a flooding house and what they should do in that situation.
The verdict on the workshop from the children was a big thumbs up!