The Mesoscale Group is comprised of academic staff, postdoctoral researchers, PhD students, and Met Office researchers who share common research interests in mesoscale weather processes and systems. The mesoscale occupies a horizontal length-scale range from approximately 1–1000 km. As a result, it includes many phenomena, from gravity waves to individual convective storms to cyclones.
Specific research interests within the group are diverse and include:
- the predictability and parametrisation of convection
- diabatic processes within extratropical cyclones
- pollution and volcanic ash transport
- sting-jet dynamics, stationary rainbands
- stratosphere/troposphere exchange
- urban meteorology
Much of this work is done in close collaboration with Met Office staff in the Mesoscale Modelling Research Group, part of the MetOffice@Reading.