Treatments On Offer
Treatments for Depression
- We have a number of options for young people aged 12 to 18 who have depression or low mood.
- This includes working individually with the young person and offering support to parents. Individual treatment for young people is usually one to one and might involve telephone or Skype session as well as face to face sessions.
- Parent support sessions are usually offered in groups and in the evenings.
- When we have met you and heard about your difficulties we will discuss treatment options with you.
Treatments for Adolescent Anxiety
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) is the approach that we also use working with adolescents between 12 and 17 years who are experiencing significant problems with anxiety, fear or worry.
- Our treatment involves the adolescent and a therapist working together, either individually or as part of a group.
- The approach will involve identifying and challenging beliefs and patterns of thinking that are keeping the problem going, and testing out how the world works by trying new ways of doing things.
- The therapist and adolescent work together as a team, with the adolescent having complete control over their treatment.
- We also offer additional group workshops for adolescents that focus on related issues, such as managing low mood or sleep problems, and workshops for parents of anxious adolescents.
Treatments for Child Anxiety
- For children between 7 and 11 years who are experiencing significant problems with anxiety, fear or worry we usually offer a form of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) in which we work with parents to help them develop the skills and confidence to put CBT principles in to place in their child’s day to day lives.
- By working directly with parents we have found that we can achieve the same outcomes that we would get from working directly with children, however we achieve these outcomes much more quickly.
- Families also tell us that it means that, once treatment has ended, they feel confident that they can manage possible setbacks that may arise in the future.
- This treatment may be delivered in a group or individually.
- In some circumstances we work directly with children individually.