Who is AnDY?

  • The Anxiety and Depression in  children and Young People Research Clinic, based at the University of Reading. Find out about our history.

What do you do?

  • We are a team of Clinical Psychologists, psychological practitioners, and Clinical Researchers. We conduct research into the development and treatment of these disorders. We also offer assessments and treatment for children and young people who are experiencing difficulties with anxiety or depression. Our research directly informs the treatments we deliver to make sure we are providing the best and most up-to-date treatments that we can.

How can I access your service?

Will coming to your clinic stop my current treatment?

  • It is often best to focus on one course of treatment at a time but attending our service will not stop you being eligible to attend other children’s services.

 I already know what the problem is, do I have to have an assessment?

  • We always conduct a careful and thorough diagnostic assessment to ensure that the treatments we offer are right for you and to check whether you would be eligible to take part in any of our research projects.

What will happen during my assessment?

  • The child/young person, along with at least 1 parent/guardian, will come in for a thorough assessment of all anxiety and depressive disorders. Find out more about our assessment process.

How long will the assessment take?

  • Assessments should take on average around 3 hours. If for any reason they overrun, then we may stop the session and arrange to complete the assessment at a later date, either over the phone, online, or in person.

Why do parents need to take part in the assessment?

  • People regularly think about and remember things differently, and this is true when it comes to children and young people’s symptoms of anxiety and depression. Hearing two separate accounts allows us to make better judgements about the issues being faced, and as such better ensure you/your child will receive the right diagnosis, be offered the right treatment options, and are invited to take part in suitable research.

Are your assessors qualified to give a diagnosis?

  • All of our assessors receive thorough training before being allowed to conduct assessments by themselves. Furthermore, no diagnosis is given until the child and parent assessors have met with a Clinical Psychologist or other senior clinician to discuss your case, coming to a consensus over the best course of action for you.

What happens after I have my assessment?

  • We will check whether any of the treatments we offer will be suitable for you. You will receive a detailed report describing the outcomes of the assessment, whatever the outcome may be. If applicable, you will then be offered a follow-up appointment for research and/or treatment. If we are not able to offer the right treatment/research for you we will contact you to discuss other options and signpost you to alternate services.

 What happens at the follow-up appointment?

  • A member of our team will talk you through the next steps regarding treatment and research and give you lots of time to ask any questions.

How long do follow-up appointments take?

  • These can vary depending on the research/treatment being offered and whether you have any questions, but typically last about 1 hour.

I am no longer interested in taking part in the research, can I stop?

  • Taking part in research is always entirely optional. If you would like to stop taking part in any of our studies for any reason, please let us know and this can be sorted out without issue.
  • The same applies to treatment. If you no longer require our treatment, or your circumstances have changed and it is not feasible for you to continue coming just let us know.

I had an appointment to come and meet somebody, but can no longer attend. What should I do?

  • We understand that sometimes issues arise and families cannot always come in when they had originally planned. If this is the case, please let us know with as much notice as possible as we may be able to offer your slot to somebody else. We will always try to re-arrange your appointment for the nearest possible time, but we cannot guarantee how soon after the original date this will be as we are very busy seeing a lot of families.

I’m unable to attend your PPI meetings but would like to stay involved in research. What can I do?

  • There are various ways to get involved in our work at different times. If you contact us we can talk you through what is currently available.

Where can I find other support to help with my difficulties?

  • We have compiled a number of useful resources for young people, parents and professionals on how to deal with issues surrounding anxiety and depression.
  • For further information on how to get support, visit https://youngminds.org.uk/

I’m worried about my child’s wellbeing, how can you help?

  • We can provide assessments and treatment to those who have been referred to us, but we are NOT an urgent care service.
  • For urgent care or advice please contact Berkshire CAMHS Common Point of Entry (CPE) on 0300 365 1234.
  • Outside of office hours, please contact the CPE Crisis Team on 0300 365 9999.
  • For life threatening situations and other emergencies, please call 999.