Annie Ure’s cataloguing

In May 1913 George William Palmer donated several casts of Egyptian art to the Classics Department. Annie Ure, the first curator at the Museum of Greek Archaeology (later called the Ure Museum) catalogued these objects, perhaps on their arrival—when she was a student—or later. These large casts overwhelmed the Museum’s original space, a small room at 28 Portland Place, on the London Road campus, and therefore inspired the Ures to request space for their growing collection, which was eventually granted in 1957, on the erection of the building later named for Edith Morley.

This post is part of Beyond the Ure, a sculpture trail around the Edith Morley Building on the University of Reading, Whiteknights campus.