Data assimilation training @ Univ. of Reading 2022
DARC and NCEO will be offering an intensive data assimilation training course in mid summer 2022.
- Tuesday 21st – Friday 24th June 2022.
- University of Reading, UK (Covid restrictions permitting; an on-line course will be offered if in-person lectures are not possible).
- Data assimilation is one of the core activities needed to deliver weather forecasts, and to help understand the environment. This course will provide an introduction to data assimilation methods used in numerical weather prediction, including some of the latest developments. All methods will be derived from a common framework to allow a full overview of their assumptions and applicability. Furthermore, participants will get the opportunity to apply data assimilation methods to small numerical models, in order to obtain hands-on experience with the different methods.
- Who is it for?
- This course is suitable for postgraduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and weather service employees who would like an introduction to, and a deeper understanding of, data assimilation.
- What prerequisites are required?
- Some knowledge of basic calculus, statistics, and linear algebra. Mathematical primers are available on the the course page (see below).
- Who will deliver the lectures?
- Lectures will be delivered by members of DARC including: Alison Fowler, Amos Lawless, Javier Amezcua, Ross Bannister, and Sarah Dance.
- How much will it cost to attend?
- The course is free to attend. Attendees will need to pay for their own travel, accommodation, and subsistence.
- More information and how to apply.
- Please go to this web page for more information and to apply. The deadline to apply is Tuesday 24th May 2022.
Training in collaboration with the ECMWF @ Univ. of Reading, 2016-2021
Training for Scenario