Training in collaboration with the ECMWF @ Univ. of Reading
In collaboration with the ECMWF, DARC at the University of Reading and NCEO will be offering an intensive data assimilation training course before the ECMWF’s Spring course.
- 4-7th May 2021: 4-day intensive course on advanced data-assimilation methods. This course will provide an introduction of all data-assimilation methods used in numerical weather prediction, including the latest developments. All methods will be derived from a common framework to allow a full overview of the assumptions and hence applicability of the different methods. Furthermore, participants will get the opportunity to apply data-assimilation methods to small and large numerical models, to obtain hands-on experience with the different methods and deepen understanding of their working and limitations. For those unfamiliar with data assimilation, or those who are keen to obtain a deeper understanding, this course is a solid preparation for the main ECMWF course.
- Lectures will be delivered by members of DARC including: Alberto Carrassi, Nancy Nichols, Amos Lawless, Ross Bannister, Javier Amezcua, Alison Fowler.
- We are planning for an in-person course as usual, but will replace this with an online course if it becomes clear that in-person is not feasible due to Covid restrictions on travel and meetings.
- To apply for this course, please send an email to Amos Lawless, with a short description of your current research interests (around 50-100 words) by CLOSING DATE Thursday 1st April 2021. Applications will be looked at as they arrive, until all the places have been allocated.
- 10-14th May 2021: ECMWF course on data assimilation.
Training for Scenario