Lead supervisors in the SCENARIO DTP span a broad range of disciplines at the University of Reading and the University of Surrey. Each supervisor is a member of a particular department or school. As a SCENARIO PhD student you would sit within the department of your lead supervisor. You and your supervisor will be aided by between one and three co-supervisors picked from the partner organisations and relevant to your research.
In addition to Reading and Surrey, the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH), the British Geological Survey (BGS) and the Institute of Zoology IoZ) are host institutions . If you are successful in winning a studentship at CEH, BGS or IoZ, then you will be based in the same location as your lead supervisor at CEH/BGS/IoZ. All three centres host a considerable cohort of PhD students. The supervisors from the NERC National Centre for Atmospheric Science and National Centre for Earth Observation are based within the universities of Reading and Surrey.
All SCENARIO students will be treated as a cohort and DTP events will be organised to bring all students together for training and scientific discussion, including the Annual SCENARIO Conference. The SCENARIO DTP Hub, housed within the Department of Meteorology at the University of Reading, will be able to provide a desk and computing facilities to visiting students from DTP partners outside Reading for periods of up to 3 months.
Use the links below to find out more about our host institutions and departments. The departments may have more PhD projects in environmental science, in addition to those funded via the NERC SCENARIO DTP. Some of these additional projects are also available to international students. You can find out about these from the links below by following the path through to the PhD programme pages.
University of Reading
- Department of Meteorology
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Geography and Environmental Science
- Department of Archaeology
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Agriculture, Policy and Development
- Department of Chemistry
- The Walker Institute
University of Surrey
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Surrey Space Centre
- Department of Mechanical and Engineering Sciences
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Centre for Environment and Sustainability
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Chemistry
In addition to the host partners within the UK, there are two international partners which offer exciting internship & training opportunities:
- The School of Meteorology, University of Oklahoma (USA)
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology (USA)