School teachers often work in multicultural classrooms with children coming from different backgrounds and with different levels of English. It is a very rewarding experience, but, at times, also challenging. We know that teachers sometimes wonder about the best way to educate and deal with children with more than one language. Some teachers may want to find out more about how to foster the first language in the classroom, how to improve the bilingual child’s comprehension and production of English, and how to promote the integration of the bilingual child into the diversity of languages and cultures at school. Also, some teachers take up the additional duty of having to teach a second language to English-speaking children and may wish to receive additional guidance or advice.
Understanding Multilingual Children’s Language Development
With our partner FutureLearn, CeLM is happy to provide an online training course on Understanding Multilingual Children’s Language Development. The 3-week course provides you with everything you need to know about the benefits of multilingualism to enhance your practice in classroom, clinical, and home settings.
Useful Link on English as an Additional Language
For some further useful links, please see below.
- Teaching multilingual children
- The National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum (NALDIC) is the UK subject association for English as an additional language (EAL) and provides a wealth of advice and resources.
- The Bell Foundation, a charity that promotes intercultural understanding through language education. From their website, you can download for free the EAL Assessment Framework
- MESH guide
- Hampshire Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service: resources for teachers
- Solihull Council EAL resources
Useful Links for Modern Foreign Languages (MFL)
Some useful links for modern foreign languages can also be found below.
- The Language Magician: MFL resources
- Creative Multilingualism: Resources
- Professional Development Consortium in Modern Foreign Languages
- National Centre for Excellence in Language Pedagogy
- Lightbulb Languages
- The Goethe Institut
- The Institut Francais
Keep in touch
If you would like further updates on CeLM, including any future events that we may organise, please fill out the form on our contact us page.